Playa del Rey is a lovely coastal community situated on the Westside of Los Angeles. It is made up of mostly residential housing, but just a couple miles in any direction will take you to some fun and exciting areas that you should definitely not miss if you are in the area. And in such close proximity to LAX airport, it’s a breeze to travel whether flying in or out!
There are some areas of Playa del Rey you just need to experience. These places might not jump out at you, but once you find them, you will be glad you visited. Some areas you should explore near Playa del Rey include:
- The Venice Canals Walkway is a beautiful place to enjoy a nice, relaxing walk where you can take some amazing photos or just take in the lovely scenery. The houses around the canal are a sight to be seen with some being fancy, luxurious or just different, but all are well-kept and pleasant.
- UCLA Marina Aquatic Center is a great place to learn watersports. If you have young kids and teens, they can learn with hands-on training how to sail, canoe or kayak. If you’re someone who can’t get enough of the water, then this is the place to go to learn how to partake of all the water activities available.
- Venice Beach Boardwalk offers a relaxing day where you can shop and dine in a casual atmosphere. This cool place is filled with colorful characters that are friendly. Nothing in this area is superficial – what you see is what you get.
- A Day in LA Tours offers the best sight-seeing opportunities allowing you to tour Los Angeles, Hollywood, Santa Monica and Beverly Hills. You get to see all the highlights without the hassle of driving. And don’t just right it off for tourists – sometimes as residents we forget to stop and enjoy the sights, smells and sounds all around us!
The restaurants of Playa del Rey offer something for every preference. You can dine in or opt for delivery. Enjoy a wide variety of menu items from the plentiful eating establishments from traditional American dishes to ethnic choices. A few notable restaurants that you should try include:
- Playa Provisions is a great restaurant where you can enjoy creative seafood dishes. This restaurant is close to the airport which makes it convenient. You are close to the ocean which will allow you to take a refreshing walk by the beach after dinner.
- The Shack offers a casual dining experience like no other. It’s a great place to unwind or grab a quick lunch. You can order an ice-cold beer with your meal which may consist of a robust burger with a side of onion rings or french fries. The food is great and the service is even better. You will not be disappointed.
- The Tripel is a great little neighborhood restaurant. Here, you can get a great meal after a day at the beach to beat your hunger. The atmosphere is friendly and service is unbeatable. You can pair your meal with one of the varieties of beers available. Don’t miss out on this little gem.
Fun Things To Do
Residents and visitors of Playa del Rey like the quiet atmosphere of this great little community. Although it may at times seem like there’s not a lot going on, you can still find plenty of things to do. Some activities include:
- The Playa del Rey Beach offers a beautiful ocean setting where you can relax and soak up the sun. Catching the morning sunrise or the evening sunset is also a special treat you don’t want to miss.
- Indy Plush is a unique store along the waterfront. If you want to have a different shopping experience then you should definitely visit this store. Here, you will find locally made plush pillows and toys as well as educational toys, books and clothing.
Annual events are something everyone looks forward to and enjoys. Whether it be a fall festival, holiday event or spring and summer celebrations, such events are always full of fun, cheer and great food and even shopping. Some notable annual events near Playa del Rey that you don’t want to miss are:
- The Annual Flea Market at Westchester is sponsored by the Westchester Elks Lodge. You can purchase anything and everything imaginable at this one-day shopping event. Entry is free and you will be able to find some great deals.
- The Big Bonfire Beach Party was organized with fun and relaxation in mind. It is a unique mix of people where you will find fun activities, great food and a bonfire to light up the area. Bring a beach chair so you can enjoy the sunset and a fun evening with fabulous people.