The beautiful Los Feliz neighborhood has been home to many movie stars, musicians and Hollywood’s most elite. It has a rich history which can be seen in the unique architecture, including homes designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and Richard Neutra. It is the birthplace of several motion pictures and TV studios. This culturally diverse neighborhood offers plenty of fun activities to explore, including unique restaurants, entertainment and annual events.
Secrets of the Neighborhood
There are several hidden gems in Los Feliz. You just have to know where to look. You can visit artistic and cultural venues, as well as architectural landmarks. Every visitor to Los Feliz should encounter the following:
- The historic Ennis House was completed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1924. It is regarded as an architectural landmark. The restoration of this house has been backed by a loan from billionaire Ron Burkle, who has made a promise to open the Ennis House to the public 12 days per year.
- The Berendo Stairs to the Griffith Observatory is a fun hike up to the famed Griffith Park. It takes 181 steps to get to the top, and there are benches located midway to give you a break and refuel for the remaining ascent.
- Bar Covell is a unique experience where you can partake of some great wine-tasting as well as learn about wine-making. Here, you can enjoy great beers and snacks to go with your wine. You will feel like a regular in this comfortable atmosphere that has the eclectic Los Feliz feel.
- La Luz De Jesus Gallery is an art gallery and pop culture toy shop all in one. In addition, there is the La Luz De Jesus Press and the family-operated Soap Factory, each containing products you can buy in the gift shop.
No matter what you are in the mood for, whether it be casual dining or high-end fare, there’s no shortage of restaurants in Los Feliz from which to choose. Some of the best restaurants in this neighborhood include the following:
- HOME Los Feliz offers hipsters the chance tp fill up on heaping plates of homestyle comfort grub plus cocktails on their big heated patio.
- Little Dom’s – Cozy, hip Italian spot known for fixed-price Monday suppers, bustling brunches & an attached deli.
- Community Los Feliz is situated in the heart of Los Feliz. Don’t overlook this tiny gem when looking for unique dining experiences. Here, you will enjoy a warm and inviting atmosphere with friendly service and amazing food.
Those seeking entertainment venues are in luck in Los Feliz. You can watch a movie or see a play at one of the neighborhood theaters or you can enjoy musical acts. Some entertainment venues you should visit include:
- The Vista Theater opened to the public in 1923 as the Lou Bard Playhouse showing movies on the theater’s single screen as well as offering vaudeville acts of the time. Today, you can sit down in this theater that offers more leg room than any other theater around while you enjoy your movie and popcorn.
- The Greek Threater is home to contemporary and classical musical acts. Performances are consistent and include an eclectic line-up of shows.
- The Trepany House at the Steve Allen Theater hosts The Tomorrow Show which is a variety performance of music and comedy and runs every Saturday night at midnight. Here, you can see fantastic shows by Kids in the Hall, Emo Phillips and Marc Marron, just to name few.
Every town and neighborhood hosts annual events that add to the area’s charm and welcoming spirit. Los Feliz is no different. Residents, as well as visitors, look forward to a couple annual events in Los Feliz including:
- The Los Feliz Holiday Festival is a fascinating festival held each Christmas season. While attending this festival, you will experience incredible cheer and goodwill. Have yourself an unforgettable holiday experience with carolers, puppeteers and even Santa and special attractions and activities.
- The Los Feliz Village Street Fair is a summer event held annually. Many people look forward to this event where they can enjoy food from the neighborhood’s finest food vendors and shopping at fashion stores and artisan shops. You can enjoy live music, dancers and circus acts that often run during the length of the fair. An added bonus is that this fair is free to attend, allowing everyone to enjoy the summertime eastside culture.